We got up bright at early this morning to head off to Children's Hospital to get tubes in Munchkin's ears. It was chilly so Munchkin stayed in her pjs.
I was so impressed with Children's, I mean I had high expectations, but it was sooo neat. I don't think I've ever been in a self-contained Children's hospital. This was the lobby, they had a neat clock, a river that kids could play in, fun pictures and shapes on the floor. It was interesting without being over-stimulating. I was called, "Mom" as soon as I walked in the door as if they knew me by "name". As an early childhood teacher, I could see a lot of purpose in the little things, and it was greatly appreciated.
Munchkin's nurse, Colleen, brought us toys and bubbles right away. Munchkin did NOT like her ankle bracelet, the blood pressure cuff, or the oxygen monitor on her toe. Thankfully, only the bracelet had to stay permanently.
Loves from Daddy. She warmed up to the staff ok, but she was pretty anxious every time someone new came in. But everyone that was going to be in the OR with her, came by to say hi and hung out for a few minutes so that they would be familiar.
We went down to the play room for a little bit and checked out the legos- naturally. Her hospital jammies were a little big. I think I rolled up the pants 5 or 6 times.
Here Daddy, you build it.
She emptied almost the whole bucket by giving them to Mister to put together.
Then the Child Life specialist came by and showed Munchkin her mask. She got to pick between bubblegum and strawberry flavors. Obviously, we picked strawberry. Dr. Edmunds, her ENT, came back and played for a while and then carried Munchkin back to surgery herself. Colleen took Mister and I back to the "Pantry" where they had bagels and muffins for us for breakfast. We had a little picnic in Munchkin's room and waited patiently. Dr. Edmunds came back in about 10 minutes and said she did great! While she was talking with us, the anesthesiologist poked his head in and gave us a thumbs up.
Munchkin had to wait in the recovery room next door for about 15 minutes, and I don't think she liked that. The nurses thought she was so cute with her scarf because she would feel around and find her special corner to rub on her nose and ears. She got that from her Ah-Ha (Thank you Jesus, for letting it be a scarf and not hairballs). She was pretty upset when she came back and snuggled in, leaving briefly to get hugs from Daddy. She would sit with me for a while, and then try to get down (except she was super off balance), and would go reaching for Daddy, give him a big hug, and reach back to sit with me. haha
They kept us for a little bit longer and then sent us on our way. Munchkin passed out quickly in the car and is currently still passed out in bed. Here's hoping she pops back up again! We felt all of your prayers and love, and were so grateful for them.









No comments:
Post a Comment