bows

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Note to Self

I stumbled upon this after catching up on one of our other favorite little girls, Little Miss Fritts. She pointed me towards an article in the Huffinton Post by Lisa Bloom, How to Talk to Little Girls and it was... convicting is not the word, but somewhere between noteworthy and convicting. Munchkin doesn't understand what I'm saying to her yet, she is just learning to discern the purpose of my attention to her. Am I frustrated or tired, am I fully engaged in what she is "saying" to me, am I showing her something new or forcing her to do things she doesn't want to do (like roll over)? Anyway, I want to store this thought for later and remember just how powerful my words are to her. I think that I should comment on how she looks, but I want it to be directed at how beautiful God has made her, and how special she is before the things she puts on. I also want to remember to show her how much I value her brain; she is already so smart and alert- taking in everything around her. She may not be able to do baby-push-ups yet, but she can look at a book and try to touch the pictures. She responds vocally when you talk to her using her sounds, she lets us know very clearly her preferences, and she understands and anticipates a lot of her routines. My Munchkin is a genius- and a pretty one too!

1 comment:

  1. That's the sort of thought that occurs to you AFTER you've snapped at her for something that turns out to be trivial.
    I'm constantly impressed by how much influence we have on kids, often when we least expect or plan it.
    As Mrs Kolar used to say: Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will break my heart...

    ReplyDelete